Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Little Relationship Advice

I'm not one to dispense a bunch of unsolicited advice, but I do have one shiny nugget for you this morning. I think all the ladies out there would be wise to enshroud themselves in a cloud of mystery. Not a puffy cumulus cloud--who are you trying to fool? Maybe just a wispy cirrus cloud. Keep a few secrets to share at a later date. I don't mean secrets like, I am a convicted felon, or anything of that nature. Just the kind that keep your husband guessing.

Take Joe and me--a few days ago, I shared a secret with him that made his jaw drop to the floor. I revealed that I do not like the smell of melon. I don't remember how it came up. I just know that I thought to myself, "We've been an item for 9 1/2 years now--go ahead and drop that bombshell." His reaction was one of great surprise, but satisfaction in cracking one more code; scraping away one more layer to solve the enigma that is his wife. It went like this: "Really?"

A couple days later, I was really glad I had gotten that off my chest. I had been to the grocery store and, unbeknownst to me, a cantaloupe had rolled out of a bag and under a seat in my beloved minivan. It had baked in the oppressive San Antonio heat for about 48 hours before we opened up the car door and the smell nearly knocked me off my feet. And because of my revelation, he knew what he had to do. He had to be my knight in shining armor.

Can you imagine what might have happened if I had given that away on our first date? Mostly likely, he wouldn't have remembered!

If, after reading this, you're frustrated because you and your husband or boyfriend haven't gotten to that all-too-critical do-you-like-the-smell-of-melon point in your relationship, just have patience. You'll get there. Just remember to keep a little mystery about you.

1 comment:

  1. So, do you not count 7th and 8th grades as part of your time as an item? Because, the fact that you never revealed this secret even in middle school is just scandalous.

    ReplyDelete