Saturday, November 7, 2009

Just Curious

Hypothetical question for you. Not asking for any reason in particular. Say there's a family of four. Maybe they have two kids. Boys. And let's say this hypothetical family is shopping in San Marcos at the amazing outlet mall (who knew Ferragamo had an outlet? And I got so excited in the Williams Sonoma/Pottery Barn outlet, I almost wet my pants! Er, I mean, this pretend mom did).

Anyway, the family takes a break from finding name brands at outlet prices to have some lunch. As lunch is coming to an end, clear across the food court, the mom sees some great pals they used to go to church with when they were stationed at Corpus Christi, five years ago. Corpus Christi is three hours from San Marcos. How serendipitous! One of these pals they had the pleasure of dining with just a few weeks ago, and the others they hadn't seen since they moved away from there four and a half years ago.

And let's just pretend that the mom, who is nursing her baby at the time, can't contain her excitement any longer (and it kind of looks like the friends are all getting ready to leave anyway), and just gets up, walks across the food court, and starts the round of hugs, baby still nursing (under the nursing cover).

Okay, here's the question I need you to answer: Is this woman a total fruitcake for walking across the food court and catching up with the girls while still nursing? (Please say no, please say no). Do her old church pals think she is weird? (Please say no, please say no). I felt--I mean, this mom, who is a complete figment of my imagination, felt kind of like a goober for the rest of the day, but was so stoked to get to see all of them. It reminded this mom of a really neat time in her life. It's amazing how brothers and sisters in Christ have such a bond that they can pick right back up after such an absence.

Not asking for any particular reason, why?

3 comments:

  1. I would have done the same thing... only not NOW. Owen likes to play this little game called "show mommys nipple to the world". But back in the day- absoultely.

    I also saw an episode of the Duggars once and she nursed while walking through an airport. THAT might be a bit much for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you're, I mean, SHE, is not a fruitcake. I see no problem with this situation at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope not! Because (hypothetically) said gal pal, excited to see her friend, thought nothing of giving a hug to the nursing mother. And if the hypothetical mother is a fruitcake that would make the friend a fruitcake too. But if we...I mean they...are a little crazy at least they can find comfort in not being the only nuts out there. Actually, multitasking is always impressive to another mother.

    Pottery Barn Outlet and running into dear friends unexpectedly....what a great day! Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete