Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What I Said/What He Heard: Snack Edition

I like to give my Luke some choices in his day. Nothing major, just small A or B decisions that let him have a tiny amount of control over some miniscule aspect of his life. Sometimes, though, he tries to stage a coup. Take yesterday at snacktime:

He Said: Can I please have a cracker?
What I Said: Sure. Do you want a circle cracker or a rectangle cracker?
What He Heard: Pick a shape, any shape, and I will produce a cracker in that shape. And if I tell you we don't have a cracker in the shape you name, I am probably just playing mind games with you. We have every shape under the sun, and you should argue with me until you get the shape you want. May I suggest a triangle?

He Said: Can I please have some apple slices?
What I Said: Sure. Do you want green or red?
What He Heard: Pick a color, any color, and I will produce an apple in that color. Apples come in many colors besides red and green. Your only limitation is your imagination! Name a color, and *poof* I will make an apple in that color appear from our magic refrigerator! If I tell you that there's no such colored apple as the color you name, feel free to pitch a fit, complete with bodily convulsions. May I suggest purple?

I am pleased to report that his coup was unsuccessful. In fact, he almost had to spend some time in exile. There was no way he was going to get his way...seriously, we don't have triangle crackers or purple apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment