Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hidden Booty

The other day, Luke woke up bored. He looked at his toys, and his face read, If I have to play with those legos one more time, I am going to puke.

Luckily, Cookie is prepared for such emergencies. Out came a treasure chest full of treasure. Or, as it looked to the rest of us, a small basket, circa 1988 with country hearts and buttons around the side of it, filled with Mardi Gras beads and coins that came with the King Cakes she had purchased at Fresh Market for Fat Tuesday.

After the initial excitement of showing us his loot wore off, she suggested that she hide the treasure chest and Luke could look for the buried treasure. He didn't quite understand the game, so the rest of us had to join in the fun.

"ARRRRRGH, where's the buried treasure?" Cookie shouted.

"AAAAARRRRRGHH, I'm only after me rum! It's five o'clock somewhere!" I bellowed. (The kids had me up no less than eleven times the night before. I was joking about the rum. Sort of. Later, I found out that Luke is cutting four molars. Did you know there are twenty baby teeth in a full set? I thought there were only sixteen, since he hasn't gotten teeth in fifteen months!) "And if Luke ever wakes me up that many times in one night again, I am going to make him walk the plank. ARRRRRRRRRGH!"

We zeroed in on the booty, which was located in plain sight underneath the dining room table. Luke STILL couldn't put two and two together. "Look!" my mom shouted, pointing at the basket, "Look what I found!"

"A CHAIR!!!!!!!!" Luke shouted excitedly, grabbing onto one of the dining chairs.

I looked at my mom, stonefaced, and said, "I hate to break it to you, but we're not doing an Easter egg hunt this year."

2 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard that Jackson is laughing. Was Pops there to throw in a pirate joke or two?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing out loud that my kids had to know why. I explained I was reading a blog. Then they had to know whose. Then they needed to know when we knew Laura. I then had to explain that we didn't actually know her, but she is Miss Meredith's sister. Taylor piped up "Oh, I 'member Miss Meredif. She was your shopping place boss and made me sing the boom-chicka-wow-wow song all the time." Needless to say more laughing.

    ReplyDelete