Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Luke's Deep Thoughts

Monday morning, Luke and I were playing with legos in his room. We built a ship. She was quite yar, this ship. Her crew included a couple pirates, a rogue bus driver, and Light Saber Jesus. Meet Light Saber Jesus:


My dear friend, Brooke, gave him and a few other Star Wars action figures to Luke before we made our drive to Texas. Being that my child lives under a rock and doesn't know his true identity (nor does his mother, who's never seen Star Wars, for that matter), Luke took a stab in the dark and started calling him Jesus. I totally picture Jesus's Second Coming involving a light saber, don't you?


If you've read my blog for five minutes and have any deductive reasoning skills whatsoever, you've probably put two and two together from some things that I've said that Joe and I are Christians. Our highest priority in parenting our children is to present them the gospel of Jesus Christ and hope and pray that they accept him as their savior. Therefore, we take them to church regularly, read them stories about Jesus, and teach them to pray.


Luke often has questions about Jesus that relate to his own life. Nothing about His divinity, more about His humanity--the kind of questions that a two-year-old would ask. Does Jesus like spaghetti? Does Jesus play on the slide? That sort of thing. It's really cute, and parenthood has made me curious about many things of Jesus's infancy and childhood. I remember when Luke was a newborn at Christmas, I marveled so much more that year than ever about the miracle of His birth, and what an awesome undertaking it had been for Mary and Joseph. I have other questions lately, like was Jesus still waking his mother up twice every night to gobble up milk when he was nearly seven months old. What do you think, George? (We're having one of those weeks.) And how do you think Jesus slept, Luke? (Yeah, it's been that bad. I often wake up in the middle of the night screaming, wishing I was wearing big boy underwear or playing with the afforementioned legos, too.)


So anyway, there we were playing with our ship, and Luke came up with a new one. He held up Light Saber Jesus and asked me, "Does Jesus poop?" I struggled to come up with the right words, but after stammering for a minute, I told him, "Well, right now Jesus is in Heaven with God the Father, so I'm not really sure, but when he was on earth, I'm sure he did." This seemed to satisfy his curiosity, but it sure did give him a case of the giggles. And for the rest of our playtime, he shouted sporadically, "EWWWWW! P.U., Jesus!"


I was horrified, but I'm sure God is laughing, right?...Right?


Note to self--talk to Joe about staying home with the kids and letting me go out and be the breadwinner. It's really fun, Joe. You just play with legos and talk to the kids all day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that we have no record of Jesus as a baby. Can you imagine the following playgroup conversations:

    "My little angel is in the 85th percentile - JUST LIKE Jesus was."

    "I can't believe it! My little lamb is crawling at three months. Wasn't Jesus crawling by then too?"

    "Well, you know, Mary breastfed until Jesus was one year old. That's really when you should stop."

    "Oh, you fed your baby cake? Mary didn't do that until Jesus was at least nine months old."

    HA HA HA!

    ReplyDelete