Thursday, October 28, 2010

Do bedtime prayers in your house ever sound like this?

Child: Dear God. Dear God. Thank you for Jesus. Thank you for Mommy and Daddy and Luke and George...Hey Mommy, why do some little girls wear bows in their hair and--

Mom: Keep saying your prayers.

Child: Dear God. Thank you for Mommy and Daddy and Luke and George. (Opens eyes and looks around the room) Thank you for lamps. Thank you for trucks and baskets and doorknobs. Thank you for rugs.

Mom: How about our house and good food to eat and clothes to wear?

Child: Yeah. Thank you for books and socks and diapers...and...dressers.

Mom: How about asking for help listening and obeying.

Child: Thank you for lamps.

Mom: Listening and obeying.

Child: Dear God. Thank you for listening and obeying.

Mom: No, no. You're asking for help listening and obeying.

Child: Oh. Um. Please help me listening and obeying. (Inserts finger in nose) Thank you for my nose. Thank you for my fingers. Thank you for my eyes. Mommy, you're supposed to have your eyes closed.

Mom: Amen.

Child: BUT I DIDN'T GET TO SAY THANK YOU FOR LIGHTBULBS!!! WAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

As my friend Beth used to say when we co-taught middle school girls' Sunday School, "I don't think that one got past the ceiling."

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha...that's hilarious! I love the "I don't think that one got past the ceiling." That kid cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious Laura. Eli thanked Jesus for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse two nights ago and I felt a tiny bit guilty! :-)

    ReplyDelete